Classic HTTP file upload techniques are facilitated with the HTML
<input type="file"> tag. Browsers render this element as a text box with adjoining "Browse..." button. When clicked, the button initiates a browser-controlled file dialog. Selecting a local file places the file path within the text box. With additional configuration of the HTML form element's enctype attribute set to "multipart/form-data", submitting the HTML form causes the local file to be posted to the server along with all other form fields. This basic technique comes with many limitations, most notably the inability to customize the presentation and behavior of the control.
The Upload control included in PowerWEB File Upload for ASP.NET allows developers to provide a customizable file upload interface that transcends the limitations of the basic HTML file upload technique described above. This control is intended to be used within a WebForm wherever a user is expected to select one or more files to be uploaded to the server. Features include:
See all controls included in PowerWEB File Upload for ASP.NET >
- Customizable appearance
- Ability to select multiple files to upload using a single control
- Uploading begins when files are selected - no need to post the entire form
- No postback required - fully AJAX enabled!
- Simple drag and drop implementation
- Full design-time support
- Complete C# and VB.NET samples included
- Integrates with Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer